Friday, July 25, 2008

Blessed Honored Pioneer

Happy Pioneer Day a day late. Here's to all my ancestors that came before and endured so much. I want to take this opportunity to honor my own pioneer ancestors. Well, because of the length I will honor one by telling her story. Lucy Perlina Ford was a member of the church in the early years. She was a member of the Nauvoo 2nd ward. She was married to Eli Dow, but later divorced him due to his drinking habit and it was said that he wasn't very kind to her. They had two children: Abigail and Lorenzo Dow. Abigail died in Nauvoo when she was two years old. Lorenzo was my great great grandfather. Lucy got her endowments in the Nauvoo temple. She remarried John Miles (Or Mailes). John went traveled the pioneer trail to the Salt Lake Valley and was one of the first to arrive in 1847. He later came back for Lucy, but died before he was able to return to Salt Lake with Lucy. Lucy and her children (Lorenzo and children from John) travelled to Salt Lake and I arrived around 1849. (I am telling this story, strictly from memory) She lost several children. I think it was around 6 children at a young age. Three set of twins. She lived with George Albert Smith for a while until they got settled. I have Lucy's patriarchal blessing from Hyrum Smith, which states "your descendants will bless your name and always remember you." I am so thankful for her endurance and wonderful example of faith.

1 comment:

2boxersakidnus said...

I just read your blog. I am also a descendant of Lucy. My father is John Howard Dow. I would love to hear from you.

Dyanne Dow Allen